Wednesday 9 April 2014

Blue Sky Studios



Recently Blue Sky Studios announced that Peanuts the movie would be released in 2015, alongside the trailer which can be found at YouTube. I was really impressed to see the trailer as having always being a Peanuts fan growing up, I was eager to see how the artists at Blue Sky had translated the 2D drawn characters into 3D models or even if this was possible to do successfuly and still retain the original artworks visual style. To be honest I was more than impressed it was like I had stepped into one of the old illustrations. The shapes and lines retain the qualities of the original artwork, however the beautiful lighting brings the environment and characters to life in a 3D way. I was a bit skepitical of the idea of Peanuts in a 3D visual style at first, howver from what I have seen so far it has been very successful. I look forward to seeing more teasers and trailers before the realease of the film in 2015.



Blue Sky Studios films have all made it into my top cg ainmated films from Ice Age to the more recent Rio 2 being released soon. I always find looking at the artwork for these films hugely inspirational and helpful when dealing with a creature desing. Both in the concept and 3D work their artwork retains a level of realism with a combination of cartoon stylisation. This juxtaposition creates really interesting and unique characters. The bird characters on Rio have to be some of my favourite character designs, their characters features are so strong each is an individualy strong character both personality visualy and mentaly. I am really looking forward to the release of Rio 2, having watched the first film again recently.